Monday, August 23, 2010

Phak Chee Farang / Sawtooth Coriander

My contribution to this weeks Weekend Herb Blogging (WHB)
event is Phak Chee Farang, which I only recently learned is
also called Sawtooth coriander.



I was introduced to this plant by Tita Cora of Ning's Thai when she
served my Pad Thai garnished with Phak Chee. She even gave me
some plants to grow.

Sawtooth Coriander (Eryngium foetidum) is an uncommon herb.
The leaves are long and distinctly serrated along the hedge,
hence the name, sawtooth coriander. If you are a cilantro/coriander
lover then you will also love this herb. Their taste and smell is
very similar. The herb is easy to grow, tolerating hot humid weather
and can also grow well in shaded area.


Sawtooth coriander is used in many Thai ( known as Phak Chee Farang)
and Vietnamese (known as Ngo gai) dishes. I love sawtooth coriander
in my salsa and Tom Yum.


Check out the rest of the entries in the week's
WHB event, hosted by Astrid of Paulchen's Foodblog.

Haalo of Cook (Anything) AT Least Once
organizes the event.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks great. I love the freshness.

Biyaheng Pinoy said...

Ginutom naman ako sa photo na ito.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...