Sunday, September 5, 2010

Salmon Sardines

As a kid living in Iligan City (our house is just about 500 mtrs
from the ocean), I get the chance to help fishermen with their catch.

My cousins, sister and I would help remove tamban (herring)
caught in the fish nets. As a reward, we get to take home some fish.
Often we would have fried tamban, my favorite. I could finish off
a kilo of fried tamban in one sitting! Sometimes Mom would make
them into spanish sardines. I always associate homemade Spanish
sardines with my mom :)

It is difficult to get fresh tamban here in Pila, so i had to settle
with salmon, which I bought from my suki (my regular fish vendor)
in Los BaƱos. Mom cook them into spanish sardines.

Mom's Homemade Spanish Sardines

1k salmon or tamba (bangus/milkfish is also good)
3 bay leaves
8-10 pcs sliced pickle
1Tbsp salt
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1 medium carrot, sliced
3-4 pcs siling labuyo (chilli pepper)
1 Tbsp black pepper
2-3 cups water

Clean fish and cut into serving pieces. Place in a heavy pan
(Mom used palayok, clay pot) with the rest of the ingredients.
Let it simmer for about 2-3 hours until the meat almost fell
off the bones. Add water if necessary.

If using a pressure cooker, use a little water, about 1 cup
and pressure cook for about 1 hour.

Enjoy!


You might want to try these recipes:





Pork and Liver Bistek








Tortang Talong








Minanok na Manok

1 comment:

Jan @ I Love. Therefore, I Cook. said...

galing! i love sardines but i don't know how to make one. thanks for posting this ela! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...